Friday, June 14, 2013

Lakeside Assists with Northcote Structure Fire


On Friday, June 14th, 2013 at 4.38 PM, the Heartland Communications Center received a call from a homeowner stating she had a fire in the carport area of her home. Three structure engines, a truck company, a rescue company, one ALS medic unit, and two duty chiefs were sent to the fire in the 9200 block of Northcote Rd in the City of Santee.

Santee and Lakeside Fire units on Northcote Rd
Medic 4 (Santee Cottonwood Station) arrived and started a search to make sure the residence had no occupants inside. The fire was soon located in an enclosed area utilized as a washroom. With the arrival of Engine 1 (Riverview Station) lines were pulled and the fire was quickly knocked down. Crews used infrared handheld units to make sure the fire was fully extinguished.

Lakeside Fire Engineer Steve Schleif attaches a four inch supply line from a nearby hydrant.
Santee crews conducted an additional secondary search to make sure all occupants, and pets, were out of the building.

The fire cause was determined to be lint build-up around the dryer unit. The U.S. Fire Administration estimates 2,900 dryer fires occur each year resulting in 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 miilion dollars in loses. This might be a stark reminder to check your dryer ventilation system today!

A total of 7 Lakeside personnel assisted with this incident. Another example of cooperative automatic aid between agencies in the Central Zone.

Submitted By: Fire Captain Mark Grow, Lakeside Fire District
Photos By: Fire Captain Bernie Molloy, Lakeside Fire District
View 2013 Incident Map in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment