Monday, February 10, 2014

Commercial Fire in Lakeside Brings a 2nd Alarm

Flinn Springs-

On Monday, February 10th, 2014 at 9:27 a.m. the Heartland Communications Center started receiving multiple 911 calls about a large fire in the 15200 block of Olde Highway 80, in the Flinn Springs area. Initially dispatched were four structural engines, a truck company, an ALS medic unit, and two chief officers. Responding engines companies could instantly see a large plume of black smoke rising in an area between Olde Highway 80 and the Interstate.

Lakeside Fire Captain Chuck Palmore assessing the fire scene prior to placing hose streams.
Fire crews from Lakeside and Alpine get water flowing on the fire with multiple handlines.
Fire crews coordinate their effort with a heavy equipment operator.
On the arrival of Engine 26 (Blossom Valley) they reported a large pile of dismantled vehicles spreading to other areas of the yard. As more engine companies arrived multiple hose lines were put into action to knock the heat out of the fire. With the assistance of a heavy equipment operator the pile was broken down and spread out over an area where crews could get to hot spots.

One of the major hazards was fire crews working in close proximity to the heavy equipment.
Truck 4 (Santee Fire Department) and Engine 8 (Heartland Fire & Rescue) set up an aerial master stream (600+ gallons of water) on the south side of the fire to limit spread in that direction. Fire managers were concerned that fire spread in that direction could create a hazard at a nearby propane distribution site. A second alarm was requested which sent another three structural engines, a truck company, and two additional chief officers to the fire. Because of concerns about potential contamination the hazardous material team from the San Diego Fire Department, and San Diego County Department of Environmental Health, responded to evaluate those concerns.

The Lakeside Logistics Volunteer Group responded and setup a rehab location for firefighters. The group also transported fire equipment between the scene and the stations.

At 10:51 a.m. it was determined that the fire had been brought under control. Many units were able to return to their coverage areas, while other engines remained on-scene well into the afternoon hours checking for hot spots.

A total of 15 Lakeside personnel responded to the incident, assisted by the Alpine Fire District, Heartland Fire & Rescue, Santee Fire Department, San Diego Fire Department, and the San Diego County Hazardous Materials unit. The Logistics Volunteer Group responded to the scene to establish a rehab location.

Story and Photos By: Fire Captain Mark Grow, Lakeside Fire Protection District
Additional Photos By: Firefighter-Paramedic David Csik, Lakeside Fire Protection District 

View 2014 Incident Map in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment