Thursday, November 17, 2011

Head-on Collision on Highway 67 Brings Multiple Rescue Response

Lakeside:  Just after 1:00 p.m. on November 17, 2011, Lakeside Firefighters were dispatched to a reported head-on collision on Highway 67 just north of Vigilante Road. On arrival of Engine 2 (Eucalyptus Hills fire station), it was discovered that each vehicle had a trapped victim in critical condition. An early request for assistance brought multiple agencies together for a coordinated extrication effort.
Major damage to both vehicles required a lengthy extrication effort. 
Numerous tools and advanced rescue techniques were used to complete the rescues.
Arriving firefighters were assigned to each vehicle in order to provide patient care and conduct rescue operations. Lakeside Battalion 1 (Chief Laff) provided incident command and directed the efforts of several agencies including Lakeside, Santee, and San Miguel Fire Departments as well as Mercy Air who provided aeromedical transport for one of the victims. Both extrications took approximately 30 minutes and required the use of tools from two rescue units. A total of 24 fire personnel were involved in the incident. CHP is currently investigating.

The victim from this vehicle was transported by Lakeside Medic 3
 to the trauma center at Sharp Memorial Hospital.
Incidents such as these demonstrate the value of interagency cooperation and joint training. The Lakeside Fire Protection District is thankful for the assistance provided by our neighboring agencies and is proud to provide similar help when needed.
Story submitted by: Captain Jim Kirkpatrick, Lakeside Fire District 
Photos provided by: Fire Chief Andy Parr, Lakeside Fire District


  1. I would like to thank the responders to the accident on 11/17, on Hwy 67. My neice was in the red car (PT Cruiser) and although seriously injured she lived. I am sure you did your best to help rescue her and I am forever grateful. Thank you again and may God bless you all.
    Darlene Brinks

  2. My friends Mom was in the red PT Cruiser and the friends name is Sherilyn. I heard that the man in the other car didn't survive but the woman in the PT Cruiser had broken bones all over her body. She also broke her foot from pushing down on the brake so hard. I hope she will get better.