Friday, December 6, 2013

Smoke Alarms Prevent Kitchen Fire

Winter Gardens, CA - 

Alerted by the sound of smoke alarms and a barking dog, neighbors called 911 and requested the fire department to a home in the Winter Gardens area of Lakeside on the evening of December 6, 2013. Firefighters from Lakeside's Riverview fire station (fs1) arrived in six minutes to discover a downstairs duplex filled with smoke from unattended food burning on the stovetop.

The quick actions of the neighbors coupled with a rapid fire department response averted a possibly devastating fire in this occupied dwelling. This incident also serves as a stark reminder of the value of properly functioning smoke alarms to provide a timely warning of an incipient fire.

In the U.S., a cooking fire occurs approximately every 3 minutes and is, by far, the leading cause of all residential building fires and injuries.

The firefighters serving the Lakeside Fire District strongly encourage all of our residents to ensure that they have properly functioning smoke alarms on every level of their home. We know that working smoke alarms save lives.

Post by: Captain Scott Culkin, Lakeside Fire District

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to change the batteries in all of your smoke detectors the same time as daylight savings time change. It's so easy to remember and it does save lives!