Saturday, June 9, 2012

Motorhome Consumed By Fire In Lakeside

Engine 1 upon first arrival.

Eucalyptus Hills-

At 9:11 a.m. on Saturday, June 9, 2012, Lakeside firefighters were dispatched to a large vehicle fire in the Eucalyptus Hills neighborhood. It was reported that a motor-home was completely engulfed in flames. A large column of black smoke could be seen from a distance. Engine 2 from the nearby River Park station, as well as Engine 1 and Division Chief 4106(Kirkpatrick) were dispatched to the emergency. While the crew of Engine 2 was stepping into full protective firefighting gear preparing to respond, a vehicle pulled up in front of the fire station. The driver stepped out and identified himself as a burn victim from the reported fire. The crew quickly switched gears and began to treat the burn victim. This was immediately reported to Heartland dispatch and an ambulance was started to Station 2 as well as an additional engine was assigned to the fire to replace Engine 2. Santee Engine 4 was added to the call.
Engine 1 Firefighter Shawn McKenna initiating fire attack.

Upon arrival to the fire, Lakeside Engine 1 reported a large motor-home fully involved in fire with the potential of flames spreading to nearby vegetation. Engine 1 crew quickly pulled an attack line and began the fire fight. Because of the large size of the vehicle and the amount of fire involvement, a water supply from the closest hydrant was requested immediately. Santee Engine 4 arrived at scene soon thereafter to lay a large diameter supply line from a hydrant down the street up the long driveway to Engine 1. Division Chief 4106 arrived to take over incident command. The fire was knocked back before it was able to get established in the vegetation surrounding the motor-home. With an adequate water supply secured, the fire was soon fully extinguished.
Engine 2 Captain John Hisaw, FF McKenna, and Reserve FF Zauss finish extinguishment.

After Engine 2 was able to turn the burn victim over to Medic 2 for transport to the hospital, they were able to respond to the fire scene to assist with overhaul. Incident support was provided by the Lakeside Logistics Volunteer Group. San Diego Sheriff arson investigators were called to the scene to determine the cause of the blaze which is still under investigation. The burn victim was transported to the UCSD Burn Center by Medic 2.
Crews were successful in keeping the fire from the surrounding vegetation.

View Incident Map 2012 in a larger map

Submitted By: Chuck Palmore, Lakeside Fire Captain
Photos By: Todd Welch, Lakeside Firefighter

No comments:

Post a Comment