Saturday, April 4, 2015

Fire Sprinkler Stops Kitchen Fire in Lakeside

Lakeside, Calif. - 

A stovetop grease fire extending into the kitchen cabinets was extinguished by a residential fire sprinkler in a Lakeside apartment home on Friday, April 3, 2015. The call to the fire department originated as a waterflow alarm from the sprinkler activation. Lakeside Engine 1 was on scene in under five minutes reporting an extinguished kitchen fire. Firefighters secured the water supply to the sprinkler and ensured no additional fire spread to the wall or cabinets.

The immediate action of the fire sprinkler stopped what would have been a destructive and dangerous fire in this occupied home. Contrary to popular portrayal, not all of the fire sprinklers in the home activate when there is a fire. Most commonly, as was the case with this fire, only one sprinkler head activates in response to the heat generated by the fire.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, cooking is, by far, the most common cause of residential building fires in the U.S. with more than 165,000 fires occurring annually. Oil, fat and grease (51 percent) were the leading types of material ignited in non-confined cooking fires.

For more information on preventing kitchen fire and cooking safety, CLICK HERE.

Fire was extending to cabinets.
The fire was stopped with one sprinkler head.

Post and Photos by: Captain Eric Stamm, Lakeside Fire District

No comments:

Post a Comment