Lakeside Firefighters were alerted at 4:24 a.m. on December 12, 2012, to a report of smoke in the attic and living area of a residential structure in the Gay Rio area of the fire district. Engine 1 (Riverview fire station) was on scene in just over 7 minutes reporting moderate smoke production from the roof and wall area adjacent to the home's fireplace. Firefighters used hand tools and a chainsaw to open both interior and exterior walls to discover fire extending into the attic space. The fire was quickly extinguished using a preconnected handline off of Engine 1.
This is the time of year where the incidence of chimney fires increases dramatically. During the fall and winter months, many Lakeside residents increase the use of their fireplaces. This incident provides a timely reminder to have chimneys regularly inspected and cleaned. A properly inspected and cleaned chimney reduces the chance of a dangerous chimney fire which often extends into a home's attic and living space.
As always, Lakeside Fire would like to thank our automatic aid partners for their assistance on this fire.
|Firefighters "opening up" the exterior wall.|
|Fire is knocked-down with handline.|
Post by: Captain Scott Culkin, Lakeside Fire District
Photos by: Captain Bernie Molloy, Lakeside Fire District